After searching “online divorce Cape Town” or “fast online divorce Cape Town” on Google, it is easy to get overwhelmed by the search results. In this blog post we will explore the ins and outs of the online divorce process in plain language.
Online Divorce Cape Town – Why “online”?
In Cape Town and South Africa a divorce is called “online divorce” only because the process starts online and most communication between the attorney and client happens online (via the website, emails and even Zoom, WhatsApp Video or Skype). At the end of the process a court appearance is still required. In the past the court appearance could only be in person at court and never online, however, due to the Pandemic many divorce hearings were conducted via web-conferencing tools such as Zoom or Microsoft Teams, to prevent the spread of the Virus. It is therefore possible that even the finalisation of your divorce could happen online in “Zoom court”.
Prepare for Divorce
Divorce is a big decision with life-changing consequences. For most people the emotional side of divorce is dark, difficult and even traumatic. Before contacting a divorce attorney, emotionally and financially prepare yourself for the journey ahead.
Read the Top 11 Divorce Preparation Tips by a Divorce Attorney as a starting point for more practical tips and hands-on advice.
Online Divorce Cape Town – The Requirements
To qualify for our online, uncontested divorce process, the following requirements must be met:
- One of the parties must permanently reside (be domiciled) in the Western Cape. We will expand to other provinces later. If your spouse permanently resides in South Africa, it will be a local online divorce. If your spouse does not permanently reside in South Africa, it will be an international online divorce. This will affect the fixed fee of your divorce. Click here for more information on our fixed rates for an International divorce.
- You and your spouse must be willing to sign the divorce papers after both of you are satisfied with the terms (wording) thereof.
- You must know your spouse’s work or residential address. Personal service (delivery) by the Sheriff is a legal requirement in all divorces, so without knowledge of your spouse’s address, personal service cannot occur. In such a case your divorce would have to follow the Missing Spouse Divorce Process where we have to make a special application to court to serve the divorce summons in a manner other than personal service on the Defendant. This will affect the fixed fee of your divorce. Click here to learn more about a Missing Spouse Divorce.
Online Divorce Cape Town – The 4-Step Divorce Process
Our simplified 4-step online divorce process is easy to follow:
1. Complete the online divorce application form,
2. Pay the required deposit,
3. Sign the divorce papers and
4. Attend the hearing on the court date.
For full details about the 4-step online divorce process, click here.
Ready to start your online divorce?
For professional legal assistance by iedivorce complete your online divorce application today.
Nazli Williams, attorney at iedivorce, is an admitted attorney of the High Court of South Africa, with right of appearance in the High Court, specialising in Divorce and Family Law matters. Her fields of expertise and interest include Divorce Law, Family Law, Domestic Violence Law and International Divorce Law. Her vision is to demystify Family Law processes, helping good people in plain language and with great technology, to achieve remarkable results.